Monday, August 18, 2008

The Steel Dragon - Three Novels




I wrote a three part 330,000 word manuscript that I called The Steel Dragon. Originally I thought of it as one big novel. Each of the three parts is a self contained story, though each of course is connected to the one before it. I named the three parts Expedition, Colony, and Dominion. There is a time difference of three to five years between each. My heroine is nine years old in part one, twelve in part two, and seventeen in part three. Once I had it complete, it seemed obvious that if I wanted it published, the book would have to become a trilogy. I needed names for the three volumes. The first was obvious-- The Steel Dragon. I tried out several possibilities, and eventually came up with the other two titles-- The Sorceress's Apprentice, and The Two Dragons. The final title is both accurate, as there are two dragons in the story, and a nod to J.R.R. Tolkien's The Two Towers.

No comments: