Tuesday, February 24, 2009

O Pioneers! - Movie vs. Book


I watched the 1992 Hallmark Hall of Fame TV movie of O Pioneers. It was about as close to the book as a movie could possibly be. Jessica Lange was good as Alexandra, and interestingly enough, Heather Graham was very believable as a young Alexandra. David Strathairn is always great and was an excellent Carl, and while Anne Heche wasn't my idea of Marie, she was passable. Reed Diamond, now playing in Joss Whedon's Dollhouse (more about this excellent show in a later post) was Emil.

There were only one or two incidental scenes from the book that didn't appear in the movie, and everything was very well done. I thought that it was a bit more obvious that Emil and Marie had sex in the movie (they had their clothes off) than in the book. If all book adaptations were this good then books might really be in trouble. Fortunately that is not the case.

Note: I have never claimed to be a good critic. As the saying goes, "I don't know what's good. I just know what I like."

No comments: