Friday, June 26, 2009

Senta and the Steel Dragon - Gyula Kearn


Gyula Kearn is in a single scene in The Voyage of the Minotaur. He is a line cook in Cafe Carlo in the great city of Brech. When he can get away with it, he likes to give food away to Senta and the other orphans who work in and around the cafe.

Gyula makes a second appearance in Book 5 of the series, when he arrives as an immigrant to Birmisia. Nine years have passed and he is hired on the be the head chef in one of the colony's new restaurants. It is still a small part, but he may have a larger one in a later book.

I don't remember where I got Gyula's name. I do remember that just on the spur of the moment I decided that he had lost his arm in an industrial accident. I wanted to stress the number of accidents in an industrial revolution world, and a one-armed cook makes the character stand out a bit.

No comments: