Saturday, August 15, 2009

His Robot Girlfriend - Review by quillaja


This review by quillaja was recently posted on Feedbooks.com.

This book was ok. I really was looking only for something short and moderately entertaining (though something more would also have been welcome), and "His Robot Girlfriend" delivered that for free.
One of my criticisms are that after the robot girlfriend arrives, most of the story revolves around buying her clothes and having sex. I can't understand why this robot needs so many dresses and shoes. Apparently robots are programmed to be insatiable consumers.
My second criticism is that there are some typos, grammatical errors, and things that seem like incorrect technical wording. The typos and grammatical mistakes might just be in the feedbooks version, but the technical mistakes are probably not. For example, the robot implies that her experiential memory can't be damaged or erased because it's "write only." If it's write only, how does she access it? Also, though I never heard of "write only" memory, because it can be written to, one could still erase or damage it by writing bad or null data to it.
Thirdly, I know the girlfriend is a robot, but does she really have to act like the perfect female slave that waits on her man hand-and-foot, takes care of him, and satisfies his every sexual desire? She really doesn't have much personality of her own; she simply behaves exactly as Mike wants her to (except when it comes to exercise, I guess). The fact that she babies Mike so much makes me dislike him for being such a helpless man. Someone reading this from the feminist perspective would have a great time ripping the story to shreds.
Anyway, it's a decent quick read if you're looking for some mild entertainment.


First of all, thanks for taking the time to read my book. A few answers to some of your comments.

One of my criticisms are that after the robot girlfriend arrives, most of the story revolves around buying her clothes and having sex. I can't understand why this robot needs so many dresses and shoes. Apparently robots are programmed to be insatiable consumers.

Yes, I can see how that might bother some people. My idea was that having a robot would ultimately be something like having a really big Barbie doll. Check out the Barbie aisle in the toy store-- lots of clothes and shoes. The story was originally very sexually explicit and I rewrote it to be less so, but there is still just as much sex as before, just less graphic.

My second criticism is that there are some typos, grammatical errors, and things that seem like incorrect technical wording.

I'm very embarrassed about the typos! Believe me, I have spent many hours editing and have had several others editing for me as well. This is a problem that most self-published authors, without the benefit of professional editors, face. It's hard to edit your own writing, since you tend to skip over words without even realizing it, since you know what is there. I am going to go back again though, and when I find those typos or errors, I will fix them and update the file here.

As for the technical aspect you mentioned-- write-only memory. Yup, that was just a mistake. It should have been read-only. I may go back and fix that, or I might just leave it to confuse the techies.

Thirdly, I know the girlfriend is a robot, but does she really have to act like the perfect female slave that waits on her man hand-and-foot, takes care of him, and satisfies his every sexual desire?

Well, the story is essentially a male fantasy play.

She really doesn't have much personality of her own; she simply behaves exactly as Mike wants her to (except when it comes to exercise, I guess).

She is a robot.

The fact that she babies Mike so much makes me dislike him for being such a helpless man.

I can see that. Still, speaking as a man, that is probably the most realistic part of the story.

Someone reading this from the feminist perspective would have a great time ripping the story to shreds.

While I tried to make a few social comments in the story, I would be the first to say that it's not that thematically deep. I doubt there is much femenist criticism to be done beyond what you have said about Mike above. Still, if someone writes a college paper on my book, send me a copy of it, and I will send you an autographed paperback.

No comments: