Saturday, March 20, 2010

Mini-Review-- Holocene: the Missing 6000 Years


I had high expectations for Holocene: the Missing 6000 years. I have a minor in anthropology and have always enjoyed learning about the past. The Holocene is a tempting topic. It is the time period between the end of the Ice Age and the invention of writing (hence the start of history), and is a period when much must have happened with civilization, war, government, and art, and yet for which there is little evidence. I was hoping that some of that blank slate would be filled by this book. However, this book proved to be a chapter length list of what we don't know about the Holocene. It was correct and it was well-written, but it wasn't what I wanted. I doubt I would recommend this book. The questions presented therein can be found in other places-- free on the net, for instance. However if you are interested, here is the link to the book on Fictionwise.

No comments: