Friday, April 29, 2011

My Writing: 2010

By 2010, I had mostly given up on traditionally publishing the Senta and the Steel Dragon books.  I entered the Voyage of the Minotaur in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Contest, and though it made it to round two, it was very disappointing.  I was very unhappy with the feedback I got from the publishers who were evaluating the books.  Some of the criticism was valid, but some I felt was very mean and some was just incorrect.

I decided to publish it myself and did.  I also decided that Senta and the Steel Dragon shouldn't just be a trilogy, but a series.  The three books I had written (as one long one) took place three to five years apart.  I thought I should write books to fill in the void.  So my original three books became:

Senta and the Steel Dragon Book 1: The Voyage of the Minotaur
Senta and the Steel Dragon Book 3: The Drache Girl
Senta and the Steel Dragon Book 5: The Two Dragons.

I sat down and wrote Senta and the Steel Dragon Book 2: The Dark and Forbidding Land.  It was a real challenge making it fit between two already completed books.

I finished it and published book 2, then revised book 3 again and published it.

I also decided that I would write a quick and short little prequel and so Senta and the Steel Dragon Book 0: Brechalon, was done.

In the meantime, I was playing a lot of Rock Band on my Wii.  This inspired a story that just popped right out of me, seemingly without much effort on my part.  It became Tesla's Stepdaughters.

So, I had five books published in 2010, and I started having visions of dozens of Wesley Allison books or even scores.  If I write 5 books a year, I could write as many as Edgar Rice Burroughs before I die.

2 comments:

Bill Humphrey said...

I just completed reading The Voyage of the Minotaur, and thought it was fantastic. A great read. I am looking forward to reading all in the series.

Mr. Wesley Allison said...

Thanks so much. The Senta and the Steel Dragon series are the books that I am most proud of. (Yes, I ended the sentence with a preposition. Boo-ya!)