Thursday, May 19, 2011

Characters: Senta Bly


The funny thing about Senta is that I never intended to write a book about her, let alone make her the main character in a series.  I originally wrote a description from her viewpoint that was supposed to showcase the setting of Brech City.  When I eventually plotted out the trilogy that would become books 1, 3, and 5 of the Senta and the Steel Dragon Series, she took on more and more importance.  When I added books 0, 2, and 4 to the mix, the entire story really became her story.

I'm looking forward to completing the series this summer and am already thinking about another six book series that features Senta later in life.  I won't get started on that until at least next year, but I'm already feeling the bug to write it.

Senta is precocious and self-confident.  As she grows up she learns more and more magic and discovers that she is a powerful sorceress.  One of the most fun things about writing this series is that the characters are so inter-connected.  Senta has relationships of one sort or another with more than a hundred major and minor characters.  Hopefully this diversity makes her as much fun to read about as she is to write about.

No comments: