Friday, June 24, 2011

Characters: Eaglethorpe Buxton


The idea for Eaglethorpe Buxton came from two very different places.  I wanted a narrator who would try to teach the reader, much like Lemony Snicket does in A Series of Unfortunate Events.  I also remember reading Herman Melville's Bartleby the Scrivener in college and being fascinated by the idea of a narrator who was not very reliable.  In the case of Eaglethorpe, the narrator became extremely unreliable.

Eaglethorpe also exists in a comic version of my old Dungeons and Dragons world, so he is the type of sage/bard/adventurer that an extremely nerdy D&D player might come up with.  I'm looking forward to writing more Eaglethorpe soon.  At this point, I think I'll write three more adventures and put them together with the two existing EB adventures in a single volume-- The Many Adventures (Alright Five!) of Eaglethorpe Buxton.

No comments: