Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Social Aspects of Reading


Ebook readers have been making a lot of the social aspect of reading lately.  I'll be honest.  I didn't know there was one.  I've always thought that reading was essentially a solitary activity.  That's what I like about it.  Well, I guess I like a lot of other things about it more, but I'm happy with being a solitary reader.  On the other hand, I wouldn't mind reading being a little bit social.  I like recommending books that are good, but I don't want everyone to know what page I'm on of every book I pick up.

The Kobo reading app on my iPad synchs to Facebook and Twitter and reports every little detail.  That's one of the reasons I don't use that app.  Some books are guilty pleasures that I don't necessarily want to broadcast that I'm reading them.  Others might be really guilty pleasures.

The new Nook lets me publish similarly to Social sites, but only when I want to.  I can report which page I'm on, my rating, my review, and similar bits of information, but it doesn't get automatically posted.  You also can't do it with books you didn't buy from BN.  That's kind of annoying, but they are in the business of selling books.

All in all, I hope that the forced social details are a fad.  I don't find it fascinating to read that one of my Facebook friends is eating Chocolate Cheerios at 5 AM or that "Jersey Shore is Awesome".  Got news for you "friends."  Everything you type is not the wit and wisdom of the ages.

No comments: