Thursday, December 15, 2011

His Robot Girlfriend -- Politics


People accuse me of having all kinds of hidden agendas in the robot books, both political and otherwise.  Some have suggested that I'm a radical environmentalist because of the prominance of the Green Party in the story.  I do care about the environment, but the reason that the Green Party plays a part is that I thought it would be more fun to have three parties vying for the presidency than two. 

Others have said the story is a thinly veiled treatis on same-sex marriage.  There is a reference to the fact that same-sex marriage is more common in the future of the story.  That is not an endorsement by me.  I don't have really strong feelings about it one way or the other.  I do think the institution of marriage is being damaged less by same sex couples than by people (either gay or straight) who practice serial monogamy-- getting married and divorced over and over again.  I've been married to the same woman for 26 years. 

One area that few people get is the parallel of Apple Computers.  I tried to parody and reference Apple in a number of ways.  I find Apple and Apple fandom both interesting and humorous.  On the other hand, though I wasn't part of it when I wrote the books, I wouldn't give up either my iPad or my iPhone 4S for anything now.

3 comments:

Cookie said...

Speaking of politics, what're your views on the Stop Online Piracy Act?

Mr. Wesley Allison said...

I'm of course against piracy, but I think DRM is not the way to fight it. SOPA seems excessive to the point of craziness. If passed, I would expect it to have a serious detrimental effect on web commerce. I think the Millennium Copyright Act is strict enough.

Mr. Wesley Allison said...

See also my comments on 12/11/11 about Cloud Computing. I'm only buying media (like books) if I can use them on more than one device or player. That means no DRM.

DRM doesn't hamper people who pirate for profit. It only hampers legitimate customers who want to use their media. All my books are DRM-free.