Monday, January 16, 2012

Voyage of the Minotaur: Iolanthe



Spoiler Alert

Iolanthe Dechantagne is in some ways the main character in The Voyage of the Minotaur.  She is very much the same character that she is in Brechalon, at least in the beginning.  By the end of the story, she has undergone some subtle changes, mostly a result of the isolation which is in part her own making.

Iolanthe has had troubles in her past, but during the course of this story, she falls in love, is seperated from her lover, moves to a primitive colony on a distant colony, leads the colony, fights off frightening aborigines and has to deal with one brother who is a drug addict and one who is possibly a serial killer.  One of my favorite scenes is when Iolanthe finds a blood-soaked shirt in Augie's cabin, and in a characteristicaly Dechantagne move, tosses it overboard to cover it up.

I suppose Iolanthe is a character people love to hate, but I just love her.  I think I have more fun writing her than any of my other creations.  As I was writing this, I would read the completed chapters to my wife and always enjoyed it when she said, "Iolanthe is such a bitch."

Voyage of the Minotaur is availble wherever fine ebooks are sold, and you can find links to it in paperback to the right.

No comments: