Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Voyage of the Minotaur: Radley Staff


Radley Staff is a fictional character in the Senta and the Steel Dragon books.

Spoiler Alert

Lieutenant Radley Staff makes his first appearance in The Voyage of the Minotaur and plays a very important part in the series.  He is absent in Book 0 and Book 2.  I think he comes across as perhaps less important overall than I had originally intended him.  His return in Book 3 was meant to be a real pivotal point in the story, and while I think it is still dramatic, perhaps not as much as I intended.  In some ways, he kind of takes the place of Terrence Dechantagne for the remainder of the series.

Radley Staff is just a name that I made up on the spot.  He is one of the few characters that I refer to constantly by their last names, even as narrator of the story.  It just seems more appropriate for him.  In Book 1, we find him one of the junior officers aboard the battleship HMS Minotaur, and he acts nominally in charge of the colonists.  He therefore has quite a bit of contact with Iolanthe.  This of course develops into a love affair.

If I was going to write their love scenes again, I would do it from Iolanthe's point of view.  As it was, I was trying to view it a little distantly, and so we only see it from Senta's point of view.

No comments: