Saturday, March 17, 2012

John Carter


As I write this, I just finished watching John Carter.  It was a fantastic movie, but then I'm prejudiced.  I first read a Princess of Mars 41 years ago and it became a part of me.  Edgar Rice Burroughs influenced my writing of course, but he and his character John Carter influenced my outlook on life too.  This really is a story for the ages, one that has been copied again and again.

I thought the movie did a good job of bringing the book to life.  There were some changes in the story and a few elements were brought in from book two of the series, but for the most part, they were understandable changes, keeping today's movie-goer in mind.  The actors were all believable in their roles, the special effects were top-notch, and the story-telling pace was good.

I would recommend this movie to anyone, but you really should read the books.  They are great.

Incidentally, I went with my wife, daughter, and son-- the first movie the whole family has been together for, for more than a year.  We saw it in 3-D.  Despite it all costing an arm and a leg for us to have an evening together, it was very nice.

No comments: