Friday, March 16, 2012

Update: The Young Sorceress


I just finished the first draft for The Young Sorceress.  It clocks in at 65,000 words, which makes it the shortest book in the series (with the exception of book 0), but I think there are a few chapters I need to add to flesh out the story a bit.   I feel pretty good about it.  Chapters 11-14 really came together well.

This has been the most difficult of the series to write.  At times I felt like I was running out of steam for the series.  I love the characters and the setting, but after I finish book 5, I'm going to take a long break before I write any more. 

Watch this spot.  I'll let you know when I finish the first revision.  In the meantime, here is the chapter list as it stands now.

1. Spring
2. The Blond Girl
3. Nellie Swenson
4. Birthday
5. Birthday Part II
6. The Real Senta
7. Predators
8. Gods
9. Sorceresses and Witch Doctors
10. The Two Sentas
11. Pirates and Princesses
12. The End
13. Mallontah and Hell
14. All Your Fault

3 comments:

Alin said...

Wesley, do you have somebody proof-reading your books prior to publishing them? I hope you would not mind if I suggest that. It will help avoid simple mistakes like the ones in book 2.

On one page you state that Seeta could not skip through the snow due to the snowshoes and in the next page she is skipping all the way home through heavy snow.

Or when Seeta is visiting Hero's house in the middle of the winter and the house is full of fresh cut flowers... Those are poor people, where did they get the flowers from?

Mr. Wesley Allison said...

I do have some beta readers but don't have a paid editor. I'm thinking that I will get one as soon as I can afford it. Even with 20 proofreaders, a few errors sneak in. Most regular readers are not trained to spot them.

I read your ealier post and made changes to The Dark and Forbidding Land and I'm planning on new editions of all my books this summer.

Alin said...

The Dragon series is head and shoulders above all the other books. It can be turned into a movie script very easy.

I hope you will get back to this series as soon as you can.

That being said, I will continue to read whatever you will publish in the near future.