Monday, April 23, 2012

Reviews and What to Say


Once you sell enough books to start getting reviews, it can be rough.  I've had a lot of really nice things said about my writing, as well as some not so nice.  It's REALLY hard to respond to a review.  It's probably good that some forums don't allow you to respond, but in the past, when I saw a blog review of my book, I would always jot off a note.

I never berated, insulted, or even disagreed with a bad reviewer.  My standard answer was "I'm sorry my book wasn't more to your liking."  Why?  Why even respond.  The answer is absolutely no good reason.  It accomplishes nothing.  It's just so damn hard not to.  But I'm going to try from this point.  I'm going to thank positive reviewers and just ignore negative ones.

I won't respond to negative reviews.  You can bet your ass I'm still going to read them though.  I'm going to sit and read, cross my arms, stick out my lip, and fume about it.  Can't help myself.  :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent book! I really enjoyed it. You introduced many thought provoking scenarios that would come up if robots eventually become companions. In the future, no doubt they will.

Anonymous said...

I don't normally read books. I find it horrifically boring. But for some strange reason I am desperate for another Robot Girlfriend/Wife Novel. They are absolutely amazing and are nothing but a commendation to your hard work and imagination. Bravo.

Mr. Wesley Allison said...

Thanks very much. Another Robot Wife book is in the works. Stay tuned for more details.

Elizabeth Greene said...

I've read both Girlfriend and Wife. More please! ;)

bluesshoe said...


Thoughtful fun - Recommended
This book written by +Wesley Allison I got for free some time ago and it was 'sleeping' in my iBook library for quite a while.
Yesterday I went to the doc and I had to wait for hours. As I was browsing through all the book titles on my iPhone I came across this one and I started to read.
To be honest, it was a real positive surprise for me! What started a little on the 'old mans wet dream' - road, moved to a story about loss, companionship and how hard it is to find a partner later in life, because we all bring so much baggage to the table.
I'm sure the fact that the story resonated with me goes back to where I am in my own life. I'm at the same age than Mike the protagonist, I'm a widower who did care for his ill wife for quite a while - before she passed away, I am overweight and undertrained and I can spell out every letter of the word loneliness.
I finished the book yesterday evening at home and I bought the two follow ups right away. Sure, there where some length in the story, but I am at the age where I know that life does have it's length too.
I am curious how it's going on for Mike and Patience.

Mr. Wesley Allison said...

Thanks very much for your comments. I agree with you that sometimes how a book resonates with us ( or a movie or a song, for that matter) has as much to do with us as with the book. I hope you enjoy the other books, and best wishes for the holidays and the new year.

You can find the latest information on my books, including a new robot book coming in January, at wesleyallison.com.